Saturday, September 6, 2008

Another Festival

This is a picture of the temporary building they put up at the end of the street. The curtain is hiding the statue inside. They weren't done decorating this one with palm leaves and flowers and lights.
This is Ganesh the Hindu God. He has 4 arms and an elephants head.

You can look it up and read the story.

We've been seeing these ever since we came to India. They were not painted when we first saw them. There are areas that make thousands of them in a variety of sizes. The last couple of months we started seeing them painted and the big ones were
sold right where they were made. The smaller ones were transported to different areas and sold by the street vendors.

This picture shows one being transported.
They range in size from a few inches high to 70 feet. The biggest one was 70 feet tall.



This is a 10 day celebration. About every other block you will find a temporary hindu temple that they build in the middle of the street and put the statue inside and decorate with lights, leaves and flowers. Then they light candles and incense and sing and chant. We don't really understand it because it's Hindu. We can tell you they like to celebrate!!



This is an area where the statues were made. The people who make them live in the tarp village you see in the background.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool pictures! I havnt commented on your blog and decided I should. I love it when people comment on mine, then I know they are looking at it at least. I can't wait to come to India and see it all for myself. WE are already planning to come next fall. We want to wait until Kayla is a little bit older. I think we will leave both kids with Christy and just pay her to have them and then give Audrey the option to go get them when she wants them. We will shoot for August or Sept of next year. Hold us to it!